Saturday, January 7, 2012

What do vinyl sales for 2011 really mean about how we listen to music in the future?

Today I read that in 2011 The Beatles Abbey Road sold roughly 41,000 copies not including the significant number of used copies being sold world wide.  I know I contrbiuted to the latter with a purchase of a copy of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs half speed master of Abbey Road.

This got me wondering what the small uptick in new record sales... roughly 4% of all new music sales...and the significant increase in used records sales is saying about how people are listening to music.  I can name one store here in the Portland area, which happens to be one of the most name recognizable, that shared with me that used records are re taking the space, that has been dominated by CDs for 3 decades,  they were exiled from in the mid 80s. 

Firstly, I think there is a nostalgia factor.  Many of us, myself included, missed the tactile nature of records.  We get cover art, sleeve liner notes, and the actual record itself to interact with.  We have to involve ourselves far more to play a record then merely use our hands to scroll a mouse in Itunes.

Secondly, records force us to slow down and take the time to enjoy what we're listening to.  Every 22 minutes or so we have to get up, walk to the player, and flip the disc over which only increases our engagement level.  For me, I only listen to records when I am willing to take the time to listen and not become annoyed when it is time to flip it over.  When I try to do other things with vinyl on, I am reminded that they generally don't work as I get annoyed that I get interrupted by the reminder that the record needs flipping.

And finally, if you have the right equipment there is a dramatic difference in quality between vinyl and the digital forms of music.  Though, if you have the money to throw at it, you can get darn close in listening quality between digital and analog.

No comments:

Post a Comment